Saturday, January 30, 2010

καιρός

Kairos:
an ancient Greek word meaning "the right moment" or "the opportune".









I had the amazing opportunity to meet Theodoro, the Greek Argentinian trumpeter who lives on the island of Tenerife and plays his trumpet from the dock as the ship sets sail for Africa.

One year ago, I heard him play as the ship set sail for Benin. This year he came aboard and shared his life story with the Mercy Ships community. We hit it off right away over ice cream and then coffee where he shared more stories and his photographs with me. Never did I imagine I would meet the trumpeter who bid us farewell one year ago to the tune of "Amazing Grace". It was quite a moving experience, as we set out to sea. This year will be different, now knowing the man who plays his trumpet to send the ship out to sea from the dock every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment